Moving and Relocation Tips
Get your life and possessions organized for a peaceful move.
- Regard moving as an opportunity to get rid of belongings you no longer need. Consider making”donate” and “sell” piles in each room for things you could do without.
- People have a tendency to keep outdated paperwork for a very long time. Realize that paper is very heavy. Do yourself a favour and get rid of any outdated documents prior to moving.
- Make sure you have a generous supply of packaging tape, scissors, markers and labels.
- Defrost your refrigerator in time for moving day.
Packing and Labeling
- Write everything down! Before you pack even one box, create a simple record keeping system, place a number on EVERY box you pack and list the contents.
- When describing your box contents, make your life so much easier by being very precise and specific - "A-D files" is better than "files", and "Tulip dishes" rather than "misc. kitchen.
- You will need LOTS of boxes - have enough boxes to make your packing much easier!
- We can pack your boxes or supply packaging - Bubble Wrap, Plastics and Boxes.
- Keep bookends with books, light bulbs with lamps, and extension cords with appliances. Small, loose parts can be attached to the item with tape or in small envelopes.
- Keep the larger corresponding items (such as a cable TV cord) in Zip lock bags, and tape these to the underside or back of the item, shelf brackets with a bookcase and bolts with the wall unit.
- Have a box of essentials you will need after your move and mark it brightly for easy location.
- Do not overfill boxes- light items in large boxes and heavy items is small boxes.
- Designate a colour for each room in the new home, such as yellow for kitchen, orange for dining room etc. Apply coloured stickers on the box near the box number.
- In your new home, put a matching sticker on the door to each room. The furniture removals company will then know where to put everything when they arrive at the new destination.
- It is also helpful to post a big sign on the wall in the room where you want boxes stacked.
- Keep the boxes out of furniture and traffic areas.